Thursday, December 13, 2012

Interview with Kristina McBride, author of One Moment


1. If someone looked at your browsing history right now, what kind of things would we find?

I’m not sure you want the answer to that, but here goes. There are definitely several searches checking on the rate of a body’s decomposition. A human body, to be precise. There are also a few searches on symptoms and phases of death by a variety of means. Oh, and I’ve been frequenting the American Girl website (it’s almost my daughter’s birthday).



2. If you could write about any subject that is near and dear to your heart, what would it be and why?

This is a hard one, because I feel that there’s no if about it. I pretty much write about what’s near and dear to my heart. In The Tension of Opposites, I focused on a girl who returned home two years after her kidnapping. Kidnapping a huge fear of mine, but losing oneself is as well, and this girl was so lost after her time away from home. Friendship and the evolution of a person are also big for me, and I explored those in The Tension of Opposites as well. As for One Moment, I really wanted to capture that feeling of never being able to turn back the clock – that there are no do-overs in life – and that it only takes one moment to change everything in a person’s world. One Moment also explores the complexities of friendship, as well as the heartbreak of losing someone you love. This book was inspired by a loss that I experienced years ago.



3. Do you have a favorite song, album, or playlist to write to?

I need silence to write efficiently. If I listen to music while I work, the lyrics tend to make their way into my story. Which can be good. But it can also be very bad. When I’m working on a first draft, I do, however, try to listen to music that fits the mood of whatever scene I’m currently writing to keep in the groove. The type of music obviously changes from day to day and week to week.



4. What was the first thing you did after the debut of the first book you wrote?

After the debut, I just took a huge breath. Reaching release day felt like crossing some momentous finish line, and once the big day arrived I could finally relax. I had done everything I could for my book; it was time for it to stand on its own.



5. What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who don’t wear seatbelts. I mean, hello? They’re proven life savers!



6. Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Chocolate. And then some more chocolate, please. I also love horror movies.



7. What was your favorite book as a teen?

Such a hard question! I remember devouring In Cold Blood by Truman Capote when I was in high school (I love horror books as well as horror movies). I have always been a huge fan of Stephen King. When I was younger, I was into Christopher Pike and Judy Blume.



8. If an aspiring writer asked for advice what would you tell them?

Write and write and write some more. And when you take a break, read. Think about each scene and what purpose it serves when considering the whole of the story. Ask lots of questions. And do plenty of research on the business end of things before you attempt to snag an agent.



9. What is the one thing that scares you more than anything else?

Besides the obvious answer of something happening to family or friends, I’d have to say ghosts. I’ve never had a paranormal encounter, but I’m a believer. I am a huge baby when it comes to watching scary movies (think of the Paranormal Activity series or The Exorcist), but I love them!



10. What book are you reading right now?

Crown of Embers by Rae Carson. It’s the second in her Fire and Thorns trilogy. Freaking incredible!


Optional questions :)


Favorite Meal:

Chocolate chip cookies. And ice cream. With Hershey’s syrup. And maybe a little whipped cream. Plus sprinkles. Yup. That’ll do.



Favorite Drink (alcoholic/non-alcoholic):

Water. I do not leave the house without my water.



Sweet or Salty snacks?

Okay, so, does chocolate count? Because I think it should be a major food group.



All time favorite movie:

Oh, now! How do I answer this one? I’d need a genre and a year and way more to narrow this down. I just can’t. If I list one I’ll feel like I’ve cheated on all the others.



Best book to movie adaption:

 I’m going to have to go with The Green Mile. Amazing. (Only because I have yet to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I hope it’s as good as I expect it to be!)



Worst book to movie adaption:

Lord of the Flies, the original. It’s crack-you-up laughable. (Random Fact: This book was on the curriculum when I was a high school English teacher. So was The Perks of Being a Wallflower – one of my faves to teach!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive