Sunday, December 9, 2012

Interview with Julie Kenner/J.K. Beck, author of Release Me and When Temptation Burns


1. If someone looked at your browsing history right now, what kind of things would we find.
 Good question! A lot of eclectic stuff. Book research on both the Release Me trilogy and my demon hunting soccer mom series (so demons and light bdsm/sex toy stuff), quite a few pages relating to teaching reading and learning math facts (I homeschool), tons of Facebook pages, and searches for recipes and local restaurant menus. And more miscellaneous stuff!

 2. If you could write about any subject that is near and dear to your heart, what would it be and why?

Probably aging and the difficulty of dealing with finding your mind young but your body frail. (I recently witnessed my mother having a couple of neurological episodes and strokes that put her into a nursing home). I actually have a story worked out, but it's very different from my usual voice/milieu!

3. Do you have a favorite song, album, or playlist to write to?

 I don't like writing to music, so no. On occasion, (like when I'm trapped in a hotel room with kids) I write to the soundtrack to Sherlock Holmes or The Holiday. Both by Hans Zimmer.

4. What was the first thing you did after the debut of the first book you wrote?

Debut-I don't remember! Sale? Ran around the office tormenting the other attorneys and secretaries with my news, then called every person I'd ever met, ever :)
5. What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who see me reading (in public) and feel like that's a reason the chat!! Hello? Reading here!

 6. Do you have any guilty pleasures?

I am utterly without guilt about all my pleasures :) But, ah, yes. Food wise, massive bowls of berries drenched in cream. Movie-wise, Pretty Woman and similar I-will-cry-and-the-end romances. Or action flicks :) Favorite guilty pleasure: go to the movies and sit with a giant drink and a humongous, refillable buttered popcorn!
7. What was your favorite book as a teen?
As a youngish teen, Flowers in the Attic. I thought it was soooo scandalous!
8. If an aspiring writer asked for advice what would you tell them?
Write as much as possible. Develop your voice. Don't keep massaging the same chapter. Write some more.
9. What is the one thing that scares you more than anything else?
Something bad happening to my kids.
10. What book are you reading right now?
Gone With The Wind on audio and The Westing Game and Valley of the Dolls in print

Optional questions :)

Favorite Meal:
Steak at a fabulous steakhouse
Favorite Drink (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)
Coffee with heavy whipping cream, Red wine, Dirty vodka martini
Sweet or Salty snacks?
 Salty
All time favorite movie
 Used to be Star Wars, and while I still love it, I think I'll have to go with Raiders of the Lost Ark
 Best book to movie adaption
The Woman in Black was awesome.
Worst book to movie adaption
 Lucky Jim. Heard of it? No? There's a reason for that ...

http://www.amazon.com/Release-Me-Novel-J-Kenner/dp/0345544110/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355053440&sr=1-1&keywords=release+me+j+kenner

http://www.amazon.com/When-Temptation-Burns-Shadow-Keepers/dp/0345525671/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355053330&sr=1-6&keywords=jk+beck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive