Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Interview with D. Michelle Gent, author of Ancients and Gods




1. If someone looked at your browsing history right now, what kind of things would we find.

All sorts of research, blogs and articles on writing and the publishing industry and anything from weaponry to poisoning. Oh yes, there’s enough to convict me, for sure! J


2. If you could write about any subject that is near and dear to your heart, what would it be and why?

I get to do that anyway, in magazine articles as well as my novels. I’m Editor of AWESOME online magazine and I write about bullying in school, animal abuse, historical characters and anything that takes my fancy – I really am fortunate!


3. Do you have a favorite song, album, or playlist to write to?

I prefer absolute silence when I write. The voices from my imagination are enough to listen to and I need to hear what they say, sometimes they don’t repeat their messages.


4. What was the first thing you did after the debut of the first book you wrote?

Floated around for a while trying to remove the grin from my face! J


5. What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who tell me ‘no you can’t’.


6. Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Guilty pleasures...? As in things I shouldn’t be doing when I’m supposed to be writing?
Petting my cat, gazing out of the window, Facebook, Twitter... procrastination in general.


7. What was your favorite book as a teen?

I don’t usually re-read books so I don’t have one that was my absolute favourite but as a teen I would ‘borrow’ my dad’s book collection one at a time and scare the living daylights out of myself with titles such as The Exorcist, Jaws, The Deep, The Rats etc etc.


8. If an aspiring writer asked for advice what would you tell them?

You CAN do it. NEVER take NO as the only answer you can get and for goodness sake and for the sake of your work, your readers and your pride, get your work professionally edited.



Optional questions :)



Favorite Meal:

Oh that’s an easy one! Christmas dinner with my family. It’s hard work, a lot of preparation and I always go over the top, too much food, too much choice and experimental desserts but it’s SO worth the effort!


Favorite Drink (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)

I like liqueurs – I have a sweet tooth. Glayva, Cherry Brandy, Amaretto... etc.

Non alcoholic – juice or water.


Sweet or Salty snacks?

That depends on the situation... I love Doritos but I also adore puddings – individual cheesecakes etc mmmm.


All time favorite movie

I don’t really have one that I can choose from... I enjoy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Highlander, most musicals... a wide and varied mix really.


Best book to movie adaption

The Green Mile


Worst book to movie adaption

Judge Dredd (the Sylvester Stallone version) It’s a comicbook to movie adaptation but I collected the comics in the 80s and that movie was an utter travesty! I hope the new version is better!

Twitter: @ShellGent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive