Monday, February 25, 2013

Interview with Tracey O'Hara, author of The Dark Brethren series




1. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or was there something else you wanted to do as a career?

Actually I never had any inclination to be a writer until 2004 when I discovered my passion for writing. I was researching my family history and wanted to write about it. However I started getting ideas for fictional stories and started to write my first book.

I am actually an Analyst programmer by day and have always been a logical thinking and more a maths and science geek that literary. That said I have been a reader forever.


2. Is there one author that you have read every book that they have written?

I would have said yes – a few years ago. I used to read everything written by Raymond E Feist, Stephen King, Anne McCaffry up until a few years ago. But when I published got so busy I have not had a chance to keep up with later books. I am very eclectic in my reading and I have a lot of favourite authors but not one that I could say I have read every single book.


3. In you opinion what is the best movie adaptation of a book that you've read?

Well – it’s not a movie – but I would have to say the HBO TV series adaption of the The Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin would have to be one of my favourites. The casting of the characters was perfect, and loved the world they brought to life. I don’t think I had one disappointment except for maybe Jaime Lanister, but only in looks – I think he captures the character superbly.

I also enjoyed the movie adaption of To Kill a Mocking Bird – that could be because I saw the movie before I read the book. But in all things – I much prefer the books to the adaptations.


4. When you are browsing book stores what is the first section you go to?

The paranormal section – of course. I love looking at the titles and to see what has come out. Seeing books in real life is a lot different to seeing cover art in the internet. But I tend to read more eBooks or listen to audiobooks these days because I find them more convenient, especially ebooks as I can listen to them when I am driving and doing other things. I don’t usually read in my genre when I am working on a story.


5. If your book was being made into a movie do you already have actors in mind for each role? What bands/singers would you put on the soundtrack?

I have no actors in mind at all. The characters are so strong in my head that it would be difficult seeing anyone playing those parts. I guess every writer dreams of seeing their stories coming alive on the screen – big or small – but it is hard to image who could play the parts. As for the soundtrack – well – I am a metal head and would want a heavy thumping soundtrack for sure.

6. When you're creating characters do you incorporate traits from people you know?

Yes and no – I have created a few characters from people I know because they wanted to be written into the story. So if I could make it work – then I would put in characters based on people I know. But most of my characters are ones from my imagination so any similarities are purely coincidental.


7. If you had the chance to have a sit down with any author alive or deceased who would it be and why?

Okay – my favourite author is George R.R. Martin who writes the Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series. I was fortunate enough to meet and speak with George (albeit briefly) in 2010. I definitely got my fan girl on. I am just in total awe of his story telling, his characterisation, and his ability to totally pull me into his books. I love the fact that I can’t see what is coming and yet enjoy trying to figure what might happen next. I would love to sit down with him again and talk about the series – but would probably be a totally tongue tied geek-girl again.


No comments:

Post a Comment