Monday, February 25, 2013

Interview with Mari Mancusi, author of The Blood Coven Vampires series



1. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or was there something else you wanted to do as a career?
I knew I always wanted to write, but I didn't think I could ever turn it into a real career. So I studied film in college and ended up becoming a TV news producer. Working in TV is really great--you get to go a lot of places and meet a ton of people--even famous ones. I used to interview celebrities all the time in NYC and go to red carpet events, etc. But still, I had this burning urge to give it all up and write books! There's just something about being able to sit in front of your computer and make stuff up for a living! Best job in the world. So I'm very thankful I have a chance, now, to do it full time.
2. Is there one author that you have read every book that they have written?
That's a good question! I'm not sure there is. My husband likes to tease me that I always watch one season of every TV show. And I'm kind of like that with books, as well. I like to read so many different books, sometimes I don't get to read EVERY book by a certain author. I will say there is an author named Marion Zimmer Bradley, who wrote my favorite book ever -- The Mists of Avalon -- which is a retelling of the King Arthur story from the female point of view. I would like to read all of the books she wrote, but I haven't gotten there yet!
3. In you opinion what is the best movie adaptation of a book that you've read?
That’s a tough one. It’s so hard to watch a film after you’ve read the books. They just have to leave so much out! I guess I’d have to say The Shining, which is a horror film, based on a Stephen King novel. Both the book and the film are so good—but so different.
4. When you are browsing book stores what is the first section you go to?
I usually go the young adult section to check out the new releases. I have a lot of friends who write
 young adult so it's funto visit their books, even if I, myself, don't have a new release. I also like to go to the sci-fi/fantasy section.
Nowadays I read most of my books digitally so I don’t hit the bookstores as often. Which is too bad, in a way. I love browsing through shelves on a rainy day.
5. If your book was being made into a movie do you already have actors in mind for each role? What bands/singers would you put on the soundtrack?
I know a lot of my readers have actors in mind to play the parts—sometimes I see them post photos of them on Facebook, etc. I think Ben Barnes would make an excellent Magnus. Maybe Emma Stone could play Rayne? She’s a little old, but has the right attitude. Jareth—maybe the character who plays Jasper in the Twilight films? I don’t know. I’m sure my readers are better at picking and choosing than me.
As for a soundtrack, lots of goth and 80s alternative for Rayne and maybe some happier songs for Sunny. Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, VNV Nation, Muse, Death Cab for Cutie, The Cure, Depeche Mode, and, of course MCR. Sunny might want a little Dave Matthews, but that won’t be happening, thank you very much!
6. When you're creating characters do you incorporate traits from people you know?

I’ve definitely done that in the past, thought often not intentionally. An author can’t always help fictionalizing things from everyday life. For example, I’d say Sunny and Rayne both have a little of me in each of them. But they’re also different.

7. If you had the chance to have a sit down with any author alive or deceased who would it be and why?
I’d love to sit down with Anne Rice. She’s such a great author and her Vampire Chronicles changed my life. Plus, she seems like she’d be an interesting person to talk to, as well. Very informed and opinionated about the world around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment