Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Darkest Corners by Kara THomas

1. Can you tell us a little about your debut novel?

THE DARKEST CORNERS is about two estranged childhood friends who are forced back together when one’s father dies in prison. Now eighteen, they’re forced to confront what really happened one summer night when they were kids and witnessed something that helped put a serial killer behind bars. It was inspired by The West Memphis 3 case and Gillian Flynn’s DARK PLACES.

2. Is it a standalone book or part of a series?
It’s a standalone.

3. Who inspired your main character?

Tessa really just popped into my head. I was very inspired by the West Memphis 3 case and witnesses who told stories that didn’t add up in court. I was fascinated by the idea of false memory syndrome, but then I started to think of motivations for lying, and Tessa grew from there. She’s deeply conflicted, but also damaged, because a lot of ways, she’s alone in the world.

4. Are you a plotter or do you just write whatever is in your head?

A little bit of both. I usually just start writing, but when I get to the third chapter, I usually have to stop and outline the nuts and bolts of the mystery before I continue.

5. Do you require silence when writing or do you need background noise?

Silence! No music, TV, husband being loud. I’m weird like that.


6. Are you writing your next book?

Yes! It’ll be out from Delacorte in 2017, title TBT. All I can say about it for now is that it involves an online horror community and toxic friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment