Saturday, July 18, 2015

Interview with Nicole Castroman, Author of Black Hearts



1. Can you tell us a little about your debut novel?
My debut novel, BLACKHEARTS, is a Blackbeard origin story, or pre-pirate. It's my idea of what led him to become one of the most notorious pirates to sail the seas.

2. Is it a standalone book or part of a series?
At the moment, it is a standalone.

3. Who inspired your main character?
One of my main characters was obviously inspired by Blackbeard. Only the last two years of his life are known or documented. Blackbeard could read and write, which meant he was educated. It's believed he came from Bristol, England. I took whatever information I could find and deconstructed it to create my own story of his early life.

4. Are you a plotter or do you just write whatever is in your head?
I'm not really a plotter. I don't write down my story, but I DO know how I want it to end. Then I write towards that goal, allowing the characters to take me there.

5. Do you require silence when writing or do you need background noise?
I do require silence when I'm writing, but it doesn't mean I always get it. :) I'm a mother of two, so I've learned how to write around interruptions. But no, I don't have music playing in the background. That would be too distracting for me. However, I do like to have each story I write have a "theme song" and will listen to that before I begin.

6. Are you writing your next book?
I am writing my next book. I can't share what it is quite yet, but hopefully soon.




Born in Sandy, Utah, Nicole was lucky enough to come with her very own best friend…she has a twin sister who can read her mind and finish her sentences for her.

At the age of 13, she went to Europe for the first time and it changed her life. She loves learning about different people, languages and cultures and speaks fluent German. She knows enough Spanish to get herself into trouble and can still read the Cyrillic alphabet from when she studied Russian.

She received her B.A. from Brigham Young University and has lived in Germany, Austria and two different places called Georgia. One is the country located on the Black Sea. The other is the state of Georgia where she now lives with her handsome husband and two beautiful children who continue to amaze her.

No comments:

Post a Comment